Tuesday, August 31, 2010

WHAT???? Your Friends Want Cookies???

So...... got the biggest compliment in the world today.  My 8th grader came home from school and told me that tomorrow she needs to bring more cookies because all her friends loved them!!! This just goes to show you that just because it's good for you doesn't mean it has to taste bad.

Below is my recipe for "school lunch" cookies.  This makes about 30 cookies.  I make them fairly small (about 2" diameter).  I also keep them in the freezer so by the time her lunch break rolls around they are just the right temp.

3 cups ground nuts (I used macadamia, almond, cashews, walnuts, pecans and some coconut to make the three cups)
3/4 cup raw honey
2T flaxseed oil
1/2 C almond butter
1T vanilla extract
Just a pinch of salt

Grind the nuts in the food processor and pour into bowl.  Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until you have a dough.  Pinch off small pieces, roll into a ball and then flaten on your dehydrator tray.  I dehydrate at 115 degrees for 12 hours on one side, then flip, and dehydrate until the cookies are as dry as you want them. 

You can also use the dough without a dehydrator.  Just roll into the dough into balls and then roll the balls in coconut, cacao, or chopped nuts and store in freezer.