Monday, August 30, 2010

I Want to Rock and Roll Alnight (and Party Everyday!)

I always say raw food is like rock music - exciting, alive, and electrifying!!!  I went to see KISS last night (yes, I was a card carrying member of the KISS Army in the 5th grade) and was amazed at how they can still get around the stage! 

Sometimes I really love going out with friends because I will eat and drink like everyone else.  It's almost an excuse sometimes to be naughty (even if it means I'll have a stomach ache in the middle of the night).  But last night, I did not feel like "polluting my temple" so I whipped up a little Pad Thai dish over Kelp Noodles to eat before I left home.  Taste as good as it looks - recipe is below:



Julienne carrots, peppers, zucchini, portabello mushroom and anything else you want to thrown in.  Make a marinade of 2T lemon juice, 2T raw honey, 2T oil, 1T Nama Shoyu, couple of cloves of minced garlic, and about a tablespoon of ginger.  Pour this over the veggies and let it sit for a few hours.

In the food processor, grind a cup of almonds until fine then mix in 2T lemon juice, 2T honey, 1T Nama Shoyu, couple of garlic cloves, 1T ginger, salt/pepper to taste and enough water to get the consistency of a sauce.  Soak the kelp noodles in water for about 20 minutes and cut them to desired length. Rinse water off, add veggies and toss with sauce.  When I use kelp noodles I like to let them sit in the sauce for a while (about an hour or so) as they will absorb the flavor.

If you haven't tried kelp noodles before you will be pleasantly surprised!  One serving of Kelp Noodles has only 6 calories plus they are fat-free, wheat and gluten-free, low in carbs, and have a tone of vitamins and minerals.. Because they are a sea vegetable they are also full of iodine which can help with thyroid and metabolism.